Christopher Sign was the first person to report on the meeting between former President Bill Clinton and then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch on a private jet back in 2016. Now, the 45-year-old reporter has turned up dead after apparently committing suicide in his Birmingham home over the weekend. Police were first alerted to something wrong when they received an emergency 911 call on Saturday at 8:15 am reporting that something had happened to Sign.

When authorities showed up at Sign’s house, they found his body inside his Hoover, Alabama home. They are investigating his death as a suicide, given the details at the scene inside his home. Someone in the neighborhood had called in the emergency to 911.

First responders rushed to the Alabama home and found Sign unresponsive. He was dead when emergency responders showed up to help. Now, people are mourning the loss of the television journalist who had served with Birmingham’s ABC TV affiliate WBMA-LD. Sign was previously a University of Alabama football player.

Sign came to national attention when he reported on Clinton’s secret meeting with Lynch in 2016. The pair had allegedly met on Lynch’s private jet on the tarmac at the Phoenix Airport. According to Sign’s reporting, the pair held a conversation about the ongoing investigation into former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server while she was on the job.

Instead, Clinton and Lynch played off their conversation as just a friendly chat among professionals. They did not admit to discussing the problem with Hillary’s emails and the ongoing investigation by the FBI, and a witch hunt by Republicans.

The FBI went on to admit that they had nothing on Clinton and weeks before the 2016 election announced as such. However, the FBI reopened the probe into Hillary Clinton’s emails when they obtained the laptop that belonged to Anthony Wiener and found it had more Clinton emails on it. The former congressman, who became a national laughing stock after it was revealed he was texting naked photos to a young woman, lost his wife, who had served as an aide to Clinton during her time as Secretary of State under former President Obama.

In October 2016, then-FBI Director James Comey announced he was reopening the investigation into Hillary Clinton. Two days before the election, he announced that the investigation had turned up nothing and would once again close. Experts believe that the FBI announcement may have interfered with the 2016 election and caused Americans to doubt Clinton.

Sign’s death has shocked the Alabama community.

“Our deepest sympathy is shared with Chris’s loving family and close friends,” said Sinclair Broadcast Group Vice President and General Manager Eric S. Land, according to Daily Mail. “We have lost a revered colleague whose indelible imprint will serve forever as a hallmark of decency, honesty, and journalist integrity. We can only hope to carry on Chris’s legacy. May his memory be for blessing.”

Since 2017, Sign served as an anchor with local news station ABC 33/40 in Birmingham.

Every time you share an AWM story, you help build a home for a disabled veteran.